Thursday, March 25, 2010

Podcast 20

Welcome good people to this week's podcast. New music awaits...

Click here to listen now!

Sleephouse Radio - Podcast 20 by sleephouseradio

Tracklisting:
1. Felt Letters - '600,000 Bands'
2. Chain And The Gang - 'Interview With Chain Gang'
3. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - 'Evolution's A Lie'
4. The War On Drugs - 'Taking The Farm'
5. Art Museums - 'S.H.O.P.P.I.N.G'
6. Prins Thomas - 'Wendy Not Walter'
7. Anthony 'Shake' Shakir - 'Assimilated'
8. Richard McGraw - 'Asheville'
9. Clogs - 'Last Song' (Featuring Matt Berninger)

1. Felt Letters - '600,000 Bands'
2. Chain And The Gang - 'Interview With Chain Gang'



The damn near inscrutable Ian Svenonious does it again. A deft puncturing of ego-inflated balloons on both sides of the artist / critic divide here. The first from Felt Letters is out on 7 inch right now and the second comes from last year's Chain And The Gang LP. Chain And The Gang are touring right now too. Check the MySpace for details.

Felt Letters MySpace

Chain And The Gang


3. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - 'Evolution's A Lie'


There's been a massive amount of focus on Ariel Pink's forthcoming album and quite rightly so - the current vogue for chillwave, hypnogogic pop and tape hiss (and hipness) certainly wouldn't have happened without him.

I'm disappointed in the new teaser track though - 'Round and Round' showcases Ariel's 80s FM Radio fascination, while I prefer the flipside hazy experimental Ariel Pink. I was hoping with the help of a full band and proper studio he'd go in the direction suggested by this awesome krautrocking, Darwin-baiting B-side from last year's 'I Can't Hear My Eyes' single.

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti MySpace


4. The War On Drugs - 'Taking The Farm'


I've been digging Kurt Vile for a good while now - but I've had this MP3 unlistened on my computer for much longer than that. Random rediscovery threw it up again and I'll be damned if I haven't fallen in love.

If you love Vile and you haven't checked out The War On Drugs - the band of his like-minded best friend Adam Granduciel - then you're missing out.

From the 2008 album 'Wagonwheel Blues'.

The War On Drugs MySpace


5. Art Museums - 'S.H.O.P.P.I.N.G'


More melodious goodness from Woodsist records - this time it's Guided By Voices as re-imagined by the house band in a John Hughes movie. Or something. Excellent stuff once again.

Art Museums MySpace


6. Prins Thomas - 'Wendy Not Walter'


I have a love/hate thing going with the Norwegian Space Disco scene. I want to love them but some of their smoother tones keep pushing me away.

Not this track though. Could this be the start of something beautiful? From Prins Thomas' hotly-anticipated "nye plate" (that's "new record" in Norwegian, folks).

More info at Prins Thomas' Full Pupp Record Label MySpace


7. Anthony 'Shake' Shakir - 'Assimilated'


If you think inspirational music journalism is dead then you really should read Dusted Magazine's review of Anthony 'Shake' Shakir's retrospective anthology Frictionalism 1994-2009

Journalist Ben Tausig does everything right and there's samples of the music too. It got me so excited that I had to check this record out and I'm sure glad I did.

Frictionalism is a fantastic record of Anthony Skakir's radiant brilliance and it's all brand new to me. Three CDs worth of wonder await. Thank you Mr Skakir and Mr Tausig.

8. Richard McGraw - 'Asheville'



Illustration by Kevin Sprouls

Flat out "fucking" flawless songwriting from a fella I'd never previously heard of. I can't remember how I found out about him either.

Then again, all you need to know is that he's a fantastic songwriter, has a cracking new album out and spending sometime with his music would be a damn good investment.

Also, it's the modern age people - visit his MySpace below and do your own damn homework. Lots more music and videos await you.

Richard McGraw MySpace


9. Clogs - 'Last Song' (Featuring Matt Berninger)



The National are on their way back as we speak - and I personally can't wait to have another one of their excellently crafted records to cherish.

Until then - and not counting the mp3 leaks that have already begun - there's a brand new Clogs record out. It's called 'The Creatures in the Garden of Lady Walton' and this time it not only features National guitarist Bryce Dessner but also lead singer Matt Berninger, guesting on this epic piece of late night stillness.

Clogs MySpace

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home